Betty Eastwood Park comprises 10.6 hectares of grass and woodland which is managed by the Parish Council. The Park is used mainly for local walks and has a BMX track for young people and a football area. In October 2005 some of the Park was designated Access Land under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000.
The former medieval enclosures of land now forming Betty Eastwood Park were known as Great Haver Royd, Little Haver Royd and Woollen Well Ing.
The shaft of the first colliery ‘Woollen Well Main Colliery’ was sunk between 1870 and 1973. Rapid expansion took place and by 1896, 15 coke ovens had been erected. In 1907 a further 55 new coke ovens were added. At their height the Crigglestone coke ovens produced 200,000 tons of coke a year and the colliery employed 977 men underground and 357 surface workers. At the time a by-products works ran in conjunction with the coke ovens producing gas, sulphate of ammonia, tar, pitch, carbolic acid and firelighters.
The coke ovens finally closed in 1959 and were demolished, the flattened site now forming the northern section of the Park. Crigglestone Colliery closed in 1968, with demolition taking place almost immediately.